Summary of Duties:
Reporting to the Senior Trade Commissioner, the person filling this position is responsible for the Life Sciences sector. The Senior Trade Officer will support Canadian companies that are seeking to grow their business and work with a deep local network of potential customers, investors and partners in the territory covered by the Consulate General (Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and South and North Dakota). The Senior Trade Officer will deliver services and program to Canadian clients, working with local companies, industry stakeholder, government officials, and other TCS offices around the United States, across Canada, and around the world.
Open to applicants who are:
- legal residents or citizens of the United States; or
- current employees of a Canadian Mission in the United States; or
- spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Consulate General of Canada in Minneapolis.
Note: The Consulate General of Canada in Minneapolis will not reimburse relocation costs under any circumstance.
Please note that the Consulate General of Canada in Minneapolis does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, language* and experience.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate when applying to the position how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
*Language will be assessed further during the process.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of the completion of their education.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field, or an acceptable combination of education, training and work experience in related field, including but not limited to business, economics, biology, chemistry, commercialization of therapeutics, diagnostics and/or biotech or medical technologies.
This position requires an advanced level of proficiency in reading, writing, oral comprehension and speaking English.
- A minimum of two (2) years of direct experience in a business development role with external clients, including experience involving Life Sciences sector (e.g. digital health; medical technologies; or pharma/biotech);
- Developing relationships with clients, stakeholders and government officials;
- Developing market entry strategies and business growth plans;
- Obtaining, preparing, and conducting meetings with private sector clients (e.g., business-to-business meetings, sales meetings, cold calls, etc.);
- Managing projects (including strategic planning, tracking/reporting results and budget management);
- Providing research and analysis on commercial issues;
- Providing strategic advice, briefings, and written reports to management and/or clients on international business issues.